Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A couple kinds of First Steps

So, Jaya took his first steps on Friday!  We were in the doctor's office for his immunizations and he just let go of my leg and took two and a half steps forward. He was probably trying to make a break for it, but still, it was very exciting.  He did it a couple more times through the day.  And hasn't done it since.  Oh well.  I'm still thrilled.  I figure he was probably distracted by the fun of folk fest and all that dancing (which he does brilliantly and at every opportunity), so we'll see what the week holds now that things have settled a bit.

The second first step was mine and Kasari's.  I haven't talked about it here before but my sister's kidneys are failing her and she is going to need a transplant sometime soon.  We don't know if it's a matter of months or a year or more, but we do know she'll need one.  Actually, we know she'll need more than one, since a transplanted kidney only lasts 8 to 15 years (ish...it's hard to nail anyone down on this one), but that's for the future.  For now, we're on the hunt for a healthy kidney.  So I went for my first compatibility test a couple of weeks ago and found out yesterday that we're a blood match.  Which is wonderful news. 

There are still a million steps, or so it seems, to take before we know if this will work, how it would work, and what our other options are, but this first one was kind of a deal breaker and I am so glad it means our doors are still open.

So, first steps all 'round.  And you can be sure that updates will follow on all fronts...

No comments: